Rockin’ Afternoons begins Tuesday September 19th, Super Saturdays will start on September 23rd, and our first Funky Friday will be October 20th!
Camp Acorn offers a multitude of volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups. Founded by volunteers, our program was designed to offer a unique learning experience that is both challenging and fun. We collaborate with a variety of individuals and organizations for volunteering including middle, high-school, and college students, corporate volunteer programs, youth groups, religious organizations, and local service clubs. We want all our volunteers to have a safe, fun, and meaningful experience because volunteering is at the heart of Camp Acorn!
All our programs take place at: 165 West Crescent Avenue, Allendale NJ 07401. We are currently seeking one-on-one counselors to work with campers at all of our programs. We also have volunteer opportunities outside of our programs, at fundraisers, and behind the scenes. Contact us for more details!
Fall 2017 programs:
- Super Saturdays: Saturdays from 1pm-4pm – Starts Saturday September 23rd.
- Funky Fridays Dances: Monthly Friday night dances from 7pm-10pm (usually the first Friday of each month) – Starts Friday October 20th.
- Rockin’ Afternoons: Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4pm-6pm – Starts Tuesday September 19th. (Volunteers must email ahead of volunteering for this program only. We apologize for any inconvenience).
Volunteering at Camp Acorn – Policy Guidelines
(Review before submitting your application. Volunteers are required to review the guidelines and submit this form once per year. If you are a parent submitting a volunteer application for your child, please be sure to review the guidelines with them before they come to volunteer.)
- It’s Flexible – Volunteers make their own schedules and are generally not required to make preset commitments for volunteering, meet minimum hours, etc. The only program that requires a reservation is Rockin’ Afternoons, due to limited space. Please email us at email@example.com to reserve a spot when you plan to volunteer at Rockin’ Afternoons.
- Training and Support – Volunteers do not need previous experience. Our staff is there to help bring out the best in you and our campers. They will train you on the job. Never hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure of something or need assistance. There’s a lot to learn and we are here to help!
- Service Hours – Volunteers receive credit for the hours they spend with their camper (program start time to program end time). Volunteers may come individually or in groups.
- Tracking Hours – We want to ensure that all volunteers receive credit for their service. Please be sure to both sign in the attendance book at the front desk whenever you volunteer, and initial your name on the group list when you are assigned a camper. If you require a service letter contact us to request one and we’ll be glad to accommodate you.
- NO Cell Phone Use – Camp Acorn is a “No Cell Phone Zone” and volunteers are expected to keep their cell phones put away. We need your help to keep our campers SAFE and ENGAGED in activities. BE IN THE MOMENT and connect with the people around you! That’s what camp is all about!
- Photos of campers – Taking photos of or with campers is strictly prohibited. In addition, posting photos of campers online or on social media is in direct violation of media release agreements with our families. Respect our families and campers and refrain from taking photos.
- Photos for Service Projects – We understand that schools or other organizations sometimes ask for photos to document service projects. If you require photos for your service project let us know and we can find a way to accommodate you! But independently taking photos of campers and sharing them publicly or privately is strictly forbidden.
- It’s all about who you are, not how you look – Leave valuables and jewelry at home. Don’t wear your favorite or most expensive clothes, just wear something comfortable. It’s all about who you are, not how you look. Camp is a place to have fun and be yourself!
- S.E.F (Safety, Engagement, Fun) – When volunteering follow this simple Three-Point-Rule. Keep your campers safe by following directions from staff and seeking help when needed. Keep your campers engaged by interacting with them, involving them in conversations, participating in activities, and sticking with your group. Have fun with your camper – smile, make jokes, and just be yourself. If you follow the first two rules, the fun will happen on its own because When everyone is safe and engaged, we all have FUN!
In addition to one-on-one counselor positions, we also have other volunteer opportunities available and internship opportunities for high school or college students 18 and above. We regularly work with groups like the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and corporations on a variety of projects. Please contact us for more info if your club or business is interested in a service project.
Interested in a unique, fun, and challenging volunteer experience? Then contact us today! We are always looking for one-on-one counselors for all of our programs and also offer opportunities to help behind the scenes. Please contact us for more info.