Attention Summer Volunteers!
Camp Acorn’s Super Summers 2018 is in full effect and runs thru Friday August 24th. We especially need help in the month of August!
Summer volunteers are required to fill out a paper application when they come to camp (in addition to the online submission below) and bring a copy of their immunization records. Feel free to contact us at 201-785-1101 with any questions once you submit the online application below. We hope to see you soon!
Camp Acorn offers a multitude of volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups. Founded by volunteers, our program was designed to offer a unique learning experience that is both challenging and fun. We collaborate with a variety of individuals and organizations for volunteering including middle, high-school, and college students, corporate volunteer programs, youth groups, religious organizations, and local service clubs. We want all our volunteers to have a safe, fun, and meaningful experience because volunteering is at the heart of Camp Acorn!
It is important that volunteer applicants understand that being a one-on-one counselor at Camp Acorn is a job that comes with responsibilities. All volunteers are required to review the volunteer guidelines on this page and complete and submit the application form below. By submitting the form you are acknowledging that you have reviewed the volunteer guidelines. Please contact us if you have any questions pertaining to the guidelines or the volunteering experience at Camp Acorn.
All our programs take place at: 165 West Crescent Avenue, Allendale NJ 07401. (Except Trip Days which are signed up in advance only – see calendar). We are currently seeking one-on-one counselors to work with campers at all of our programs. We also have volunteer opportunities outside of our programs, at fundraisers, and behind the scenes. Contact us for more details!
Super Summers 2018 Program:
- Super Summers: Monday thru Friday 9:30am – 3:30pm (Counselors should arrive by 9:15am – Service hours are 6 hours for the day – 9:30am-3:30pm)
- Begins Monday June 25th and runs thru Friday August 24th (no program July 4th)
- Counselor Orientation Date: Saturday June 16th, 2018 from 1:00 to 3:00pm
Fall/Winter/Spring 2018-2019 programs (run from September 2018 to May 2019):
- Super Saturdays: Saturdays from 1pm-4pm – Dates TBD (Times and location differ on trip days – trip days are signed up in advance only.)
- Funky Fridays Dances: Monthly Friday night dances from 7pm-10pm (usually the first Friday of each month) – Last dance – Annual Prom Friday June 1st, 2018.
- Rockin’ Afternoons: Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4pm-6pm – Dates TBD . (Volunteers must email ahead of volunteering for this program only. We apologize for any inconvenience).
Volunteering at Camp Acorn – Policy Guidelines
(IMPORTANT NOTICE: Review these guidelines before submitting your application. Volunteers are required to review the guidelines and submit this form once per year to remain an “active” volunteer. If you are a parent submitting a volunteer application for your child, please be sure to review the guidelines with them before they come to volunteer. There will also be a printed copy of the volunteer guidelines available to review at the sign up desk when volunteers come to camp.)
- Responsibility – Volunteers should come prepared to do the job and meet the expectations of being a one-on-one counselor. That starts with thoroughly reviewing these guidelines and contacting us if there are any questions. Parents filling out applications for their child should review the guidelines with them before they come to volunteer at camp.
- Respect – Everyone at Camp Acorn must be respectful and considerate to others. The camp environment is meant to be a safe and nurturing space for everyone. Negative comments, name calling, bullying, inappropriate conversations or subject matter, and other like behavior is not tolerated. Those engaging in it will be asked to leave and/or may not have their volunteer hours honored or verified.
- It’s Flexible – Volunteers make their own schedules and are generally not required to make preset commitments for volunteering, meet minimum hours, etc. The only program that requires a reservation is Rockin’ Afternoons, due to limited space. Please email us at email@example.com to reserve a spot when you plan to volunteer at Rockin’ Afternoons.
- Follow Directions – Volunteers should be prepared to follow the directions of Camp Acorn’s staff. Staff members will make the decision of where to sign up volunteers, give directions on how to assist a camper in an activity, how to operate a wheelchair, etc. The staff knows our campers well and they are here to help you succeed in fulfilling your responsibilities.
- Training and Support – Previous experience is not required for volunteers. Our staff is there to help bring out the best in you and our campers. They will train you on the job. Never hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure of something or need assistance. There’s a lot to learn and we are here to help!
- Service Hours – Volunteers who will be using their service hours for school, church, or other service requirements must submit the name and contact information of the coordinator/supervisor of the organization requiring service hours. Volunteers receive credit for the hours they spend with their camper (program start time to program end time). Volunteers may come individually or in groups.
- Tracking Hours – We want to ensure that all volunteers receive credit for their service. Please be sure to both sign in the attendance book at the front desk whenever you volunteer, and initial your name on the group list when you are assigned a camper. If you require a service letter contact us to request one and we’ll be glad to accommodate you.
- NO Cell Phone Use – Camp Acorn is a “No Cell Phone Zone” and volunteers are expected to keep their cell phones put away. We need your help to keep our campers SAFE and ENGAGED in activities. BE IN THE MOMENT and connect with the people around you! That’s what camp is all about!
- Photos of campers – Taking photos of or with campers is strictly prohibited. In addition, posting photos of campers online or on social media is in direct violation of media release agreements with our families. Respect our families and campers and refrain from taking photos.
- Photos for Service Projects – We understand that schools or other organizations sometimes ask for photos to document service projects. If you require photos for your service project let us know and we can find a way to accommodate you! But independently taking photos of campers and sharing them publicly or privately is strictly forbidden.
- Social Media/Online Activity – Unauthorized use of Camp Acorn’s logo, mascot, graphics, website or social media content, or any online content or media is strictly prohibited. Even though you may have good intentions to help the camp, using our name, logo, etc. in this manner is not in the best interests of Camp Acorn or our campers. Any online accounts or websites that use our logo, name, etc. are not allowed and you will be asked to remove any content/accounts that violate this policy.
- It’s all about who you are, not how you look – Leave valuables and jewelry at home. Don’t wear your favorite or most expensive clothes, just wear something comfortable. It’s all about who you are, not how you look. Camp is a place to have fun and be yourself!
- S.E.F (Safety, Engagement, Fun) – When volunteering follow this simple Three-Point-Rule. Keep your campers safe by following directions from staff and seeking help when needed. STAY WITH YOUR CAMPER AT ALL TIMES. If you need to leave your camper for any reason check with staff first to be sure they are supervised. Keep your campers engaged by interacting with them, involving them in conversations, participating in activities, and sticking with your group. Have fun with your camper – smile, make jokes, and just be yourself. If you follow the first two rules, the fun will happen on its own because When everyone is safe and engaged, we all have FUN!
In addition to one-on-one counselor positions, we also have other volunteer opportunities available and internship opportunities for high school or college students 18 and above. We regularly work with groups like the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and corporations on a variety of projects. Please contact us for more info if your club or business is interested in a service project.
Interested in a unique, fun, and challenging volunteer experience? Then contact us today! We are always looking for one-on-one counselors for all of our programs and also offer opportunities to help behind the scenes. Please contact us for more info.