Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Camp Acorn!
Feel free to contact us at 201-785-1101 with any questions once you submit the online interest form below.
All volunteers are required to review the volunteer guidelines on this page and complete and submit the online interest form below.
Camp Acorn is located at 165 West Crescent Avenue, Allendale, NJ 07401
Super Summers 2021 Program:
- Super Summers: Monday thru Friday 9:30am – 3:30pm (Counselors should arrive by 9:15am – Service hours are 6 hours for the day – 9:30am-3:30pm)
- Begins June 29th, 2020
- Counselor Orientation Date: Date TBD (Usually mid June)
Fall/Winter/Spring 2020-2021 programs (run from September 2020 thru May 2021):
- Super Saturdays: Saturdays from 1pm-4pm – (Times and location differ on trip days – trip days are signed up in advance only.)
- Funky Fridays Dances: Monthly Friday night dances from 7pm-10pm (usually the last Friday of each month) – Dance Dates: TBA
In addition to one-on-one counselor positions, we also have other volunteer opportunities available and internship opportunities for high school or college students 18 and above. We regularly work with groups like the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and corporations on a variety of projects. Please contact us for more info if your club or business is interested in a service project.
We also have volunteer opportunities outside of our programs, at fundraisers, and behind the scenes. Contact us for more details!
Volunteering at Camp Acorn – Policy Guidelines
(IMPORTANT NOTICE: Volunteers are required to review the guidelines and submit this form once per year to remain an “active” volunteer.)
- Responsibility – Volunteers should come prepared to do the job and meet the expectations of being a one-on-one counselor. That starts with thoroughly reviewing these guidelines and contacting us if there are any questions. Parents filling out applications for their child should review the guidelines with them before they come to volunteer at camp.
- Respect – Everyone at Camp Acorn must be respectful and considerate to others. The camp environment is meant to be a safe and nurturing space for everyone. Inappropriate conversations or subject matter, and other like behavior is not tolerated.
- It’s Flexible – Volunteers this summer will be able to select the week(s) they would like to volunteer. (Due to Covid-19 volunteer opportunities will be limited. Volunteers will be asked to commit to one week at a time. Volunteers will be placed with a small group for the week allowing them to work with different campers with the guidance of the same staff members. This will limit exposure and allow everyone involved to have a safe and fun summer.)
- Training and Support – Previous experience is not required for volunteers. Our staff is there to help bring out the best in you and our campers. They will train you on the job. Never hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure of something or need assistance. There’s a lot to learn and we are here to help!
- Service Hours – Volunteers who will be using their service hours for school, church, or other service requirements must submit the name and contact information of the coordinator/supervisor of the organization requiring service hours. Volunteers receive credit for the hours they spend with their camper (program start time to program end time). Volunteers may come individually or in groups.
- Tracking Hours – We want to ensure that all volunteers receive credit for their service. Please sign in the attendance book when you arrive. Also, once assigned to a camper please give your full name to the staff member to record you as their counselor for the day. If you require a service letter contact us to request one and we’ll be glad to accommodate you. We do not automatically send letters to schools, etc.
- NO Cell Phone Use – Camp Acorn is a “No Cell Phone Zone” and volunteers are expected to keep their cell phones put away. We need your help to keep our campers SAFE and ENGAGED in activities. BE IN THE MOMENT and connect with the people around you! That’s what camp is all about!
- S.E.F (Safety, Engagement, Fun) – Keep your campers safe by following directions from staff and seeking help when needed. STAY WITH YOUR CAMPER AT ALL TIMES. If you need to leave your camper for any reason check with staff first to be sure they are supervised. Keep your campers engaged by interacting with them, involving them in conversations, participating in activities, and sticking with your group. Have fun with your camper – smile, make jokes, and just be yourself.
- Volunteer Photo Policy – By volunteering at Camp Acorn you agree to allow Camp Acorn and it’s employees to take photos/videos/audio recordings of you while volunteering at Camp Acorn. These photos are strictly used for the purposes of promoting Camp Acorn and assisting us in our mission. Content may be used on our social media pages, website, training videos, etc.
- Photos of campers – Taking photos of or with campers is strictly prohibited. In addition, posting photos of campers online or on social media is in direct violation of media release agreements with our families.
- Photos for Service Projects – We understand that schools or other organizations sometimes ask for photos to document service projects. If you require photos for your service project let us know and we can find a way to accommodate you! But independently taking photos of campers and sharing them publicly or privately is strictly forbidden.
- Social Media/Online Activity – Unauthorized use of Camp Acorn’s logo, mascot, graphics, website or social media content, or any online content or media is strictly prohibited. Even though you may have good intentions to help the camp, using our name, logo, etc. in this manner is not in the best interests of Camp Acorn or our campers. Any online accounts or websites that use our logo, name, etc. are not allowed and you will be asked to remove any content/accounts that violate this policy.