Camp Acorn offers a multitude of volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups. Founded by volunteers, our program was designed to offer a unique learning experience that is both challenging and fun. We collaborate with a variety of individuals and organizations for volunteering including middle, high-school, and college students, corporate volunteer programs, youth groups, religious organizations, and local service clubs. We want all our volunteers to have a safe, fun, and meaningful experience because volunteering is at the heart of Camp Acorn!
All our programs take place at: 165 West Crescent Avenue, Allendale NJ 07401. Trip days meet at the site of the field trip (please refer to the Event Calendar). We are currently seeking one-on-one counselors to work with campers at all of our programs.
Spring 2017 programs include:
- Rockin’ Afternoons: Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4pm-6pm
- Super Saturdays: Saturdays from 1pm-4pm
- Funky Friday Nights: Monthly Friday night dances from 7pm-10pm (usually the first Friday of each month)
Summer 2017 Program Details:
- Super Summers: Monday thru Friday 9:30am-3:30pm
- Runs for 9 weeks
- Starts Monday June 26th and ends on Friday August 25th
Volunteering at Camp Acorn – Policy Guidelines
(Review before submitting your application)
- It’s Flexible – Volunteers make their own schedules and are generally not required to make preset commitments for volunteering, meet minimum hours, etc.
- Training and Support – Volunteers do not need previous experience. Our staff is there to help bring out the best in you and our campers. They will train you on the job. Never hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure of something or need assistance. There’s a lot to learn and we are here to help!
- Service Hours – Volunteers receive credit for the hours they spend with their camper (program start time to program end time). Volunteers may come individually or in groups.
- Tracking Hours – We want to ensure that all volunteers receive credit for their service. Please be sure to both sign in the attendance book at the front desk whenever you volunteer, and initial your name on the group list when you are assigned a camper. If you require a service letter contact us to request one and will be glad to accommodate you.
- Cell Phone Use – Camp Acorn is a “No Cell Phone Zone” and volunteers are expected to keep their cell phones put away. We need your help to keep our campers safe and engaged in activities. BE IN THE MOMENT and connect with the people around you! That’s what camp is all about!
- Photos of campers – Taking photos of or with campers is strictly prohibited. In addition, posting photos of campers online or on social media is in direct violation of media release agreements with our families. Please respect our families and campers and refrain from taking photos.
- Photos for Service Projects – We understand that schools or other organizations sometimes ask for photos to document service projects. If you require photos for your service project let us know and we can accommodate you! But independently taking photos of campers and sharing them publicly or privately is strictly forbidden.
- S.E.F (Safety, Engagement, Fun) – When volunteering follow this simple Three-Point-Rule. Keep your campers safe by following directions from staff and seeking help when needed. Keep your campers engaged by interacting with them, involving them in conversations, participating in activities, and sticking with your group. Have fun with your camper – smile, make jokes, and just be yourself. If you follow the first two rules, the fun will happen on its own because When everyone is safe and engaged, we all have FUN!
In addition to one-on-one counselor positions, we also have other volunteer opportunities available and internship opportunities for high school or college students 18 and above. We regularly work with groups like the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and corporations on a variety of projects. Please contact us for more info.
Interested in a unique, fun, and challenging volunteer experience? Then contact us today! We are always looking for one-on-one counselors for all of our programs and also offer opportunities to help behind the scenes. Please contact us for more info.